EXTRACTS FROM THE YUMMY MUMMY'S SURVIVAL GUIDE
Below is a Table of Contents, so you can see just how much more there is in this fantastic little book!!
PART I: BEFORE IT ALL STARTS:
What is a Yummy Mummy?
Prepare, prepare: what you should definitely do before getting pregnant. (Or what you should have done months ago, but could start now).
- I don't feel very maternal: maybe I'll be an awful mother.
- I don't want to get fat.
- What if I mess it all up?
- What about my career?
- Is it selfish to be a Yummy Mummy ?
- I'm too embarrassed about people to be poking around down there.
- I'm scared of all the pain
- What if things go wrong with my partner?
PART II: PREGNANCY:
In the Beginning:
- Getting Pregnant: a brief biology re-cap.
- The Thin Blue Line: that moment.
- Tired, tired, tired. What is going on??
- Breaking the News: To your partner, parent and friends.
- Work: Mum's the Word. When to tell; what to expect.
- Hello Boys! Some physical changes you might notice.
- Morning sickness. If only it were that simple…
- More Worries this is a big mistake - I'll never manage.
- Cheering Yourself up. A lot.
The middle bit:
- Physical changes: Most of what they told you is true… but they probably didn't mention these peculiarities...
- Looking good: gorgeous clothes for the suddenly-large-of-girth. Wardrobe tips from top designers
- Cravings and revulsions
- Testing, testing: one, two, three, four, five, six…hang on…
- Keeping fit: you can, you must, you must. This works…
- You're eating for how many? It's a tiny baby, not a racing horse.
- Pampering: Oh yes! But is it safe? The best health spas and beauty treatments during pregnancy.
- Detox: what to cut out for a while.
- The F Word: "I am definitely the FATTEST person in the world." No you're not.
- Body image and eating problems: yes, you.
- Sex : do it now - it could be the last months you get round to it.
- Come Fly with Me. Go on holiday while you still can…
- Physical discomforts. Just few.
- Alien: when you feel your baby move, hiccups and all.
- Health matters: gardening and pets. Medications and supplements
Nearing the end:
- More physical effects: Is there a loo around here? You'll need one every hour or so
- Backache, twinges, haemorrhoids – oh the glamour!
- What to buy now:
Baby Clobber: one small baby, one big shopping list
For You: a few Mummy essentials worth getting now.
- Due dates: due for a re-think. “It's going to be early, I just know it”, and other delusions.
- Last chance to: all the things you have to do NOW, before it's too late.
- Baby Showers: at last – a tradition worth adopting.
- What's in a Name? Everything, that's what .
- Your hospital bag: Got lipstick? Good to go then. What you really need to pack.
- Pedicures, and other essential preparations for handsome doctors. (Ha ha.)
- The nesting instinct: pass me the hammer drill, I'm going to have a baby.
- The Ugly Duckling: one last thing you might panic about.
PART III: BIRTH
Going into labour : “It says in my book…” Yeah, whatever.
- Bring it on
- Am I in Labour now?
- False Labour: not funny at all.
- The Show. And not a West End theatre in sight.
- Waters Breaking. Mine didn't.
- Contractions : timing them, surviving them
- Panic: how to avoid the ‘ no petrol, no hospital bag, no idea' disasters.
- Choosing a birth method. You have choice ?
- Birth plan : Prepare to improvise.
- The truth hurts . I probably shouldn't tell you this, but…
- Drugs, drugs , glorious drugs.
- Midwives, and other scary people you'll encounter.
- That's it - over to you now.
PART IV: A YUMMY MUMMY IS BORN
- The first 24 hours: some things you may notice.
- Instinct? Shminstinct.
- The Ugly Duckling: what if I have a really ugly baby?
- Breastfeeding: why is the best always so difficult?
- Night Owls: is anyone else awake at 2am?
- Weight a minute: Shucks! You mean you put ON weight after the birth?
- Dummies: ugly, but damned useful.
- The truth hurts: that's why nobody warned you about…
- Rock bottom 1 : when the euphoria dies down, aka the Baby Blues.
- Rock Bottom 2: yours isn't, but don't worry: it will be.
- The Brain Drain: keeping your own mind.
BABY BASICS: I wish I'd know more about:
- Changing a baby
- Bath time
- Bed time. Pleeaase!
- Baby Clothes. Sensible, affordable, crucial.
- The crying baby checklist. Gucci, Pucci Choo : fabulous clothing for fabulous babies. You know you want to. Best designer baby wear, and a note from designer parents.
OK, SO WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY DO WITH A BABY?
- At the third stroke… how to fill those long, long days
- New Babies: Eat, sleep, poo , sleep, eat, sleep, poo…Is that it ?
- While they are asleep – shop, sleep, shop. Yipee.
- While they are awake: more problematic…
- From Six Months: More tips and ideas to keep you both happy all day. Almost.
YOUR FIRST FEW MONTHS:
- More wardrobe frustration . What you can and can't wear with a new baby.
- Post Natal Depression. Been there, done that, and I really hope this helps.
- Makeover magic: Time-efficient, simple beauty tips for new Yummy Mummies.
- Sexy Mama : getting that bod back in order. The most effective post-natal exercises, from Matt Roberts.
- Reality check : How are you doing so far?
- Can I go on a diet now ? What to eat:
If you're breastfeeding.
If you're not any more.
- Mummy Clobber : new kit you need to survive.
Handbags: what you need from them; what they need from you.
Purses: think B-I-G.
The joy of pockets.
- Old Friends: why don't they call any more? I am the One and Only.
PART V: THE FIRST YEAR
THE BASICS a few things which are just different now, and forever.
- Popping out : in memoriam. What to take with you when you leave the house.
- Eating out: better make that "to go" then...
- Spontaneity: the shortest chapter in the book.
- Travel: still possible, just a little more complicated.
What to pack
Survival tips for hot and cold climates
The Yummy traveller: the smartest travel tips
YUMMY MUMMY THINGS:
- Who am I?
Getting to know the new you.
Realising you are turning into your mother
Where is the old me?
Finding time for yourself
- Coping: The network you'll need to keep on top of it.
When to get help.
- What's happened to me : some odd psychological changes you might notice.
- Stress Busters: …Aaaaand, relax. Best pampering treats for body and mind.
- Wonder Mums : when honesty is not the best policy.
- Sex? Sex! Are you trying to make me angry?
- Square one: where you'll be every night.
- Control Freak: the challenge of letting go.
- Life is a Rollercoaster: just when you thought things were going well…
- Medical Matters:
What to have in the medical kit
How do I know if my baby is ill?
Choosing a GP
What to take to the surgery
Vaccinations. What, more ?
- Gender Stereotyping : don't worry, Nature's got it covered
- Hygiene: another thing not to stress out about.
- There were three in a bed ...moving your baby out of your room.
- Weaning: Ready, steady...hang on - when exactly?
Reducing the Mess Factor.
Choking. Who said carrots were a good idea anyway?
Organic baby food : should you? Shouldn't you?
- The Green Baby: environmentally friendly nappies, recycled clothing - your baby can be eco-friendly too.
- Needing more Space
- Re-organising everything
- Making your house baby safe
- Where's my lovely house? Hiding the evidence.
- In an English Urban Garden … tips for a baby-safe garden.
- Your car: or mobile skip, as it will be from now on.
- Your Partner: Who are you? And other questions you will ask him…
Arguments you will have, and how to deal with them.
Jealousy, resentment and appreciation. And other fun things.
That's not what we agreed…
- Meet the Grandparents: Getting on with your own parents now.
- In-Laws: now here's a fun relationship.
- Keeping it in the family: when traditions clash
- Other Mothers - Your new friends: scary, but true.
Competitive Mums: isn't yours reading Baby Shakespeare yet?
A problem shared…
LIFE WITH BABY
- Playgroups: your baptism of Fire
- Flavour of the Week: why you sometimes won't be.
- Little Friends for Little People: they need ‘em too.
- Minding your Ps and Qs : they pick up everything.
- Remember, remember: what did we do today?
- Things You Will do and feel : and hate yourself for it.
- Drawing the line: how do I discipline my child?
- Telly Tantrums: the big "should they/shouldn't they" debate.
- Chocolate and other lovely things: how to keep treat, a treat.
- Sweets for my sweet, sugar for my baby: what happens when kids fill up on sugary, synthetic stuff
- Milestone Spotting: when to expect that first smile or gurgle.
- Is that right? Developmental things you might worry about
- Making conversation: volatile stock exchange, don't you think sweetie?
THE OTHER HALF
- What's it like being a new father?
- Sharing the load.
- Talking Dirty: some unpleasant things you need to discuss.
- Being a family
PART VI: GOING BACK TO WORK
- I need a job Part 1: No, you don't.
- I need a job Part 2: Yes, you do.
- Potential work-related disasters: they happened to me, they will happen to you.
- Simply the Best: why you will have to outperform everyone else.
- Who is holding my baby? Childcare options to worry about.
I can't leave my baby, can I?
- So what are the options?
Guilt. Don't you just love being a woman?
- Wardrobe: smart, sexy clothes for working mothers.